South Africa is a gem you should visit. The Garden Route, Soweto, the Stellenbosch and Franschhoek wine route and Table Mountain are world famous sites. During your circuit in South Africa you will pass from the desert to the ocean with the mythical Cape of Good Hope, from the savannah of Kruger National Park to the high mountains in the Drakensberg, from cosmopolitan cities like Cape Town or Johannesburg to small villages tribals of Lesotho or Swaziland (today Eswatini).
South Africa is vast and varied. Known for the beauty of its landscapes and its Big 5 safaris in magnificent reserves, you will not be disappointed to have made the trip! The country has also been voted best destination for flora and fauna 7 years in a row by the Lonely Planet guide. Trip Advisor even elected Clifton Beach near Camps Bays, the most beautiful beach in the world. So there is nothing to hesitate about…
Go on a South Africa tour is a priority in any traveler's bucket list!
The best routes to visit South Africa: choose the ideal tour
South Africa is a destination that has so much to offer that we have created the best possible routes from 1 week to 1 month. They cover all the must-see sites and list the best activities for you to do every day. You will find in our article (here) the circuit that suits you the most depending on the length of your vacation and your desires (safari, relaxing family vacation, road trip or even motorhome travel!). Follow the tips of our guide to prepare your trip easily and leave with peace of mind whether for a cheap stay or for a grandiose honeymoon!
Where to sleep in South Africa: choosing the best hotels to suit your budget
We selected the best hotels in South Africa for each stage of our itineraries. Living in Cape Town for many years, we have personally visited 80% of these establishments. The remaining 20% are either renowned hotels or accommodation tested and approved by our friends or family during their stays in South Africa.
Being aware that we do not all leave with the same budget, we recommend for each step establishments with the best value for money, the best hostels, the best guesthouses (or B & Bs), the best hotels and even the best luxury hotels. Our main criteria are price, location and the comfort / cleanliness of the rooms. In addition, in large cities such as Johannesburg or Cape Town, we recommend the area best suited to your needs (close to bars, close to the beach, quiet with the family, etc.)
Finally, for some steps we also show you unusual lodges that you will not find elsewhere like cabins perched in the trees or safari tents in the middle of a private reserve. They are ideal if you are on a honeymoon or if you just want to treat yourself for a night while on vacation.
We are convinced that by following our advice you will save a lot of time plan your tour and you will not be disappointed!
Our tips for a successful trip:
- Book your flight in advance to take advantage of the best prices
Airline ticket prices are cheaper when booked 6 to 3 months in advance. To be sure of getting the best price, we recommend using a flight comparator such as Skyscanner.
- Book your accommodation before departure to get the best deals
You will always find a room at the last minute, but the best located accommodations are necessarily those that are always full. That's why it's best to book your accommodations as soon as possible. We recommend going through Agoda which allows you to be easily reimbursed in the event of cancellation.
- Skip the line to visit the most popular attractions
By booking your excursions in advance on Civitatis, you do not queue on the spot. Less time to wait = more time to enjoy this vacation!
- Use a comparator to find a rental car at the lowest price
Save yourself hours of research with rentalcar.com. This comparator is the best way to find rental cars at the lowest prices.
- Never leave without travel insurance
For us, it is unimaginable to leave without travel insurance. We recommend the one proposed by AXIS. This is the best guaranteed way to leave with peace of mind. However, consider taking out additional specialized insurance for activities not covered (such as skiing or scuba diving).
- Want more information about your destination?
Do not hesitate to complete the information present on this blog with a travel Guide. You can take it in your luggage and refer to it throughout your vacation.